Tuesday, November 24, 2015

From Gaylene

The first time I remember meeting you was when I was around eight. I would go to Arnette and Kelly’s house to play and eventually we would venture down to your house.  I really didn't know you that well then, but God had a plan to bless me with a true and special friend. I remember how your family was different than mine in certain ways.  I’ll never forget you taking the phone off the hook during meal times. That made such an impact on me. I felt like the kid from the wrong side of the tracks, and your family seemed to have it all together, but I'm not talking about just things. When you invited me into your home and heart I saw how your family invited me in too.   The tea party you prepared just for me has never left me. The humility and kindness is what I remember most. I felt at home and I felt safe. In fact, since then I have hosted countless tea parties, and have made them a standing tradition in my home and you are always in my thoughts as the perfect example of what a hostess is like.  During high school, you were always there for me. All the memories of concerts, parties, gatherings, TN, Bible Studies, Football games, helping your family move, just would not have been the same without you! As we grew (as the story often goes) we found ourselves traveling in different directions, but you were never far from my thoughts.  I'm so glad we reconnected. I remember how you have come to support me in times of sorrow; and I remember how you have been there to share my joy. To say that you are a true friend is not strong enough. You're my sister, because sisters are able to pick up a conversation, after many years, as though no time has passed. It was wonderful having you at my wedding, and it's wonderful every time you fly into Dallas so we can continue our conversation without missing a beat. I love you and it is an honor to be your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment